Important Things to Know about Borehole Drilling Prices
Water supply has been a hot topic over the last couple of years in South Africa. Due to a series of extended periods of drought wreaking havoc across the country – and the subsequent soaring of water prices – people everywhere are eager to curb their water usage, start capturing rainwater, and find alternative sources of water. One very popular solution is to drill for water. Borehole drilling gives residents and agricultural professionals access to groundwater reserves, which is generally less affected by drought than stored surface water supplies.
There are many benefits to borehole water. You enjoy greater water security, lower municipal bills, a great garden, and access to water that is rich in minerals and lower in chemicals associated with municipal treatment. However, before you jump on this bandwagon and get drilling for water, you might want to have a look at the prices of service providers and understand the cost of the well you are aiming to get.
Factors That Influence Borehole Drilling Prices
While the following factors are not the only costs that add to borehole drilling prices, they are the factors that can cause the cost to fluctuate when comparing one bore to another:
- The depth of the bore: The deeper a service provider has to drill, the more expensive the bore will cost. Not only does it often require more equipment to go deeper, but most service providers also charge borehole drilling prices based on either the number of hours or the number of metres they have to drill.
- The amount of casing needed: This goes hand in hand with the previous point. The deeper a bore is, the more casing it would typically require to secure the structure of the bore. The more casing is required, the higher the associated cost will be.
- The type of rock: As can be expected, the type of rock that needs to be drilled will also impact the cost of the bore. Certain types of rock might require special drill bits, while it could also slow down the drilling
- The actual ground conditions: While one might expect the softer ground to be easier to drill, the opposite is true. Soft ground can present a number of challenges, such as the borehole The ground conditions will play a big role in the scope and cost of the project.
Factors That Offset Prices
While these factors do not necessarily affect the actual prices you will pay for borehole drilling, they do provide benefits that either saves you money or add value to your life and property once you have a working well installed:
- Access to water: This is obviously the main benefit and the reason for getting a borehole in the first place – the convenience of having water when you need it, and the improved quality of life that goes with it.
- Save on municipal bills: With less dependency on municipal resources, you will more than likely pay less on your utility bills each month, increasing your disposable income.
- Very low maintenance costs: While drilling prices might look expensive under certain conditions, it’s worth mentioning that these are upfront costs and that the maintenance of a borehole is relatively simple and inexpensive.
- Long-lasting investment: You also have to look at the price in the context of the length of the investment. Boreholes generally last for years and years, meaning that you will be reaping the rewards of your investment for a long time to come.
- Better landscaping: Goodbye dead and brown gardens! Access to water at all times allows you to do your landscaping the way you want. Whether you want to grow your own vegetables or simply have a lush lawn, you can now improve your living conditions without restrictions.
- Increased property value: Aside from the fact that your landscaping will look better than that of all your neighbours, a functional borehole will also add to the value of your property.
Get Expert Advice Today
Borehole drilling prices should not be your only consideration if you want the best value for your money. To get the most out of your new water source and to make sure it lasts, you also want to secure the services of a professional and experienced service provider with a proven track record, like Inyati Drilling Solutions. If you’re looking for borehole drilling prices, contact us today and let us give you a quote.